Another year without John, commemorating him once again with these podcasts which cover his time at Radio 1 …
…And from Radio 1 Vintage, some extracts from interviews done by former presenters with their experiences and memories of John Peel.
Interspersed in these clips are tracks taken from the respective shows in which the DJ’s were involved.
Keeping It Peel Podcast: John Peel – Radio 1
- Jo Whiley and Steve Lamacq talk about how they first listened to Radio 1 and John Peel before they joined.
- The Orb – Passing of Time (Evening Session, Live)
- Jo and Lammo talk about John Peel
- The White Stripes – Stop Breaking Down (Evening Session, Live)
- Janice Long talks about working with John Peel
- The Raw Herbs – Syds Late Night (Janice Long Session)
- Edith Bowman and Colin Murray share their memories of the day when they heard that John had died and of their interactions with him.
- CLSM – John Peel Is Not Enough (video mix)
- Annie Nightingale talks about John Peel and his name recognition around the world.
- Siouxsie and the Banshees – Christine
- Taken from a tribute night (Keeping It Peel – 16th December 2004) Annie Nightingale tells the story of Spencer’s dream
- The Fall – Hit The North
- Mary Anne Hobbs talks about her memories of listening to Radio 1 and discovering John Peel.
- GonjaSufi/The Gaslamp Killer – Change (Mary Anne Hobbs final show on Radio 1)
- Mary Anne tells the story of buying a giant neon sign for John’s birthday, the last time she saw him.
- Stanley Winston – No More Ghettos In America
Download (52.0MB / 56mins 51secs)
Bonus: A mini-pod with extracts from the Radio 1 Vintage interview with David Jensen and the section of his R1 Vintage broadcast alongside John Peel:
Keeping It Peel Podcast: Kid Jensen – John Peel
- Kid Jensen talks about his radio roots and how he ended up at Radio 1
- Kid talks to the wine correspondent “John Louis” about Beaujolais Nouveau
- Prefab Sprout – The Devil Has All The Best Tunes
- Kid and John go through the chart rundown
- This Mortal Coil – Song To The Siren
- Kid talks about bands that he and John got in to record sessions, one of them being The Smiths
- The Smiths – Wonderful Woman (David Jensen Session)
- Jensen talks about the evening shows he did with John and about their Top Of The Pops appearances
- Audio extract of John Peel on Top Of The Pops
- His memory of John and his reaction after Liverpool won the European Cup
- The Undertones – Teenage Kicks – twice (John Peel show 25th September 1978)
Download (26.2MB / 28mins 39secs)
And It Doesn’t End There…
- If you missed the R1 Vintage shows, click on the above link or browse on Mixcloud
- For your downloading pleasure: Radio 1 Vintage – John Peel (Mediafire). Details here
- Originally broadcast in December 2004, repeated for Radio 1 Vintage. Jarvis Cocker presents Teenage Dreams: A John Peel Documentary (Mediafire) Details here
- And finally… Originally broadcast in October 2014, from BBC Radio 1 and 1Xtra’s Stories –
How John Peel Changed My Life (Mediafire) Details here